Saturday, February 27, 2010

Great Gadget- Livescribe Pen

Hooray for a gadget that not only works, but it is an answer to many prayers. The Livescribe is a smart-pen. It records audio while you take notes. The only drawback is that you have to use proprietary paper from the manufacturer. However, that’s the only drawback I’ve seen so far.

It took about 45 minutes to set the pen up and start to really feel comfortable with it and its features. The time spent getting acquainted with the pen was well worth the investment. It’s a dynamo that I has become my favorite gizmo. I sat through a hearing and recorded testimony while taking notes the first time I used it. When I was driving home, I listed to the testimony again. When I wrote up my report, I touched the pen to the section of my notes where I thought someone said something important and zoom! The pen replayed the audio from that point.

The audio is easy to speed up, slow down, and find. The volume of the recording is excellent. I was sitting about 10 feet away from the person speaking and the pen picked up the audio perfectly. I didn’t miss a word, even mumbled.

But audio isn’t the only excellent feature the pen has to offer. Because you take notes on the proprietary paper, you download your notes when you download your audio to your laptop or desktop. With your notes on your pc, there’s no limit to what you can do with them now.

I love the Livescribe. It would have been the perfect helper in law school. Off the top of my head, I can think of about a million ways it could have made my life easier in school. For a lawyer, the pen can be invaluable- for meetings, depositions, hearings. Imagine- no waiting for a transcript and being able to find the information you want easily and download it to your computer along with your notes! It’s a dream come true that’s as easy to use as it is handy.

No comments:

Post a Comment